FOOD BANK FOR THE POOR, Sangolda Goa, realized that a lot of poor homeless people living on the streets have a difficult time managing a decent meal be it lunch or dinner.
Meals on Wheels or MOW as we call it was thus started in the following cities / towns / villages.
What is Meals On Wheels or MOW?
Our volunteers carry freshly cooked food in food grade plastic containers on motor bikes to the above locations.
- Every afternoon at 01:00 PM they pick up freshly cooked food from Porvorim and travel to District hospital Mapusa & to the streets of Panjim to serve lunch.
- Again in the evening at 07:00 PM, Paratha with either boiled Egg or Banana is served at the Taxi stand in Mapusa while other volunteers serve on the streets of Panjim.
What do we serve for lunch in Mapusa & Panjim?
- Vegetable pulao.
- Rice and vatana curry,
- Dhaal and Rice,
The above menu is served in rotation. We are grateful to our volunteer who cooks the above meals daily at a nominal price.
Margao, Vasco, Municipality areas of Curchorem, Sanvordem and Quepem are also covered under the MOW programme. In these areas we serve Paratha & Banana or Paratha and boiled Egg for lunch and dinner as we are unable to arrange freshly cooked meals. We are on the lookout for volunteers willing to cook such meals at a nominal rate as is presently being done in Mapusa and Panjim.
Motor bikes are a convenient mode of transport as localities inhabited by the poor can be covered easily and by lanes explored.
As a token of gratitude to our volunteers for taking undue risks in this pandemic, each and every one of them is covered under a COVID insurance policy in the event they are infected.
The menu is kept simple keeping in mind the costing and the need for essential nutrients to be provided in the meal. Each freshly cooked meal is approximately 500 gms providing essential nutrients.
A total of 800 persons are served daily.
- The cost of MOW freshly cooked meal per person is Rs. 20/-
- The cost of Paratha & boiled Egg or Banana is Rs. 12/-
We require your support to run these food bank programmes. You can contribute:
- Rice sacks
- Oil packets
- Salt packets
- Fresh Carrots
- Frozen green pea packets
- Masoor Dal
- Prepaid Petrol vouchers
You can also sponsor the MOW for a day on your
- Wedding anniversary
- Death anniversary of a loved one
- Any other special occasion
All donations are accepted only by CHEQUE or NEFT. We offer 80-G tax exemption certificate on all donations.
NO CASH DONATION ACCEPTED.